Friday, January 27, 2012

The Sleepover

So Kevy's having his very first sleepover tomorrow at a friend's house. He's super excited, I'm nervous as heck. He'll be about ten miles down the road from home, but it feels like a thousand miles. I've got no problem leaving him to sleepover at the sitter's house; heck, we've had to do that since he was born cuz I worked a lot of nights.

This is different; he's going to a friend's house. It's another step towards independence and not needing me, and that means he's gonna start school soon, and then he'll be graduating, and then and then and then ...... Oh dear!

My older kids put up with me being a Nervous Nellie when it came to sleepovers and activities that took them away from me. I was sure I'd have gotten over that by now! But, alas, it appears I'm still afflicted.

He's gonna be away from me for about 18 hours, easy, right? He's stayed at the sitters for 72 hours sometimes when I've had three consecutive nights. Again, no problem.

Growing up is what kids are supposed to do, but they're supposed to do it slower! This is just too fast for me!

What if he cries for me at night? What if the other mom doesn't know how to turn him into a hippo or horse or elephant when tucking him in? What if he has to pee at night? What if he falls off a strange bed? What if? What if?!

I'm really not as worried or nervous as I'm leading on. He'll be perfectly fine at his friend's house.

And, I see this experience for what it is; an important step on the road to independence.

Even so, I'm leaving my cell phone number and instructions to call if he needs anything. I've also mentioned (more than a few times) to the other mother, that I will pick him up at 0300 if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment