Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Night Shift, Moving, French Immersion, etc.

Again, the night shift. Its currently 0145; most people are at home snug in their beds and asleep. Not me. I only wish I was sleeping cuz I took a benadryl two hours ago for an allergic reaction to something. Not sure what.

My lovely and wonderful cousin, Rachel, who works in Emerg, was up to see me before midnight. I'm so tickled to have a relative working in the same hospital.

On my previous night shift (24 Dec 2009) I had four patients and my night was slow, slow, slow. Tonight I have seven patients, and I will quite likely have an eighth shortly as we are expecting an admission shortly. That's cause to fill out a work overload form, but we rarely fill those out because its a rather large stack of paperwork and very time consuming. And, yes, there is a certain irony there.

Just yesterday at a family gathering I was explaining what kind of work I did and that our patients were anywhere from 17 - 104 years old, with 104 being the oldest patient I've ever cared for. Of course, tonight one of my patients is 105. I told her she didn't look a day over 95.

On my way to work tonight I spoke on the phone nearly the entire drive here. My VBF (very best friend) called as I was leaving the driveway, then I called Mom, and then Luanna. It was very nice when I had headphones to talk on the phone because then I didn't have to hold the phone up in an awkward postion which is kind of distracting while driving. But driving is one of the few times during the day that I sit still so to me it makes sense to talk while driving. Especially when the streets are empty.


It seems as if I've been preparing to move forever now, and its only been since November that I packed up my first box and began ridding myself of excess belongings. Today I packed and labelled and numbered another five boxes; that makes nine boxes that are officially ready for moving.

There is still no official word on where we will be moving to. The house west of Blumenort is still a 'maybe,' and now there is a house in Steinbach that is also a possibility. The house in Steinbach would put me within a mile of Virg's house which would be absolutely fabulous!!! We could walk together whenever I wasn't working! I could walk to work if I found childcare in town. Even working in Ste. Anne would work well, then I could find a sitter in Greenland. Picking up Mom for coffee would be a breeze. A 10-15 minute drive to get her and the same to drive her home.

So, my plan is to rent a home for 2-4 years, repair my credit rating (its been horrible ever since school), save money for a downpayment and then purchase a home. At this point in time I'm thinking of buying in Ste. Anne or Labroquerie.

I'd like for Kev to attend a French Immersion school and I've been told that Steinbach does not offer French Immersion. There is another reason I would not like Kev in school in Steinbach or Blumenort. And that is the religious factor. When my children attended Blumenort School, there was too much emphasis on Christianity, in my opinion. And I'm not saying this to anger anyone or to start a debate with anyone, this is simply my opinion and my feelings on the matter.

Blumenort is a public school but it felt more like a private school twelve years ago. The Lords Prayer each and every morning along with daily bible readings were a bit much for me and my husband at the time. When I mentioned this to the principle he simply informed me that anyone was free to leave the classroom at those times and were in no way forced to stay if they chose not to. This was not a viable option, as leaving the classroom would have drawn attention to themselves.

We were a non-religious family at that time and I am raising Kev in that same environment. Therefore, Blumenort is not an option for Kev's education at this point. And, I think it is a wonderful option for children to be fluent in both English and French. Especially since knowing Low German does not qualify you as bilingual.

It is almost time for my break, so I bid you all good-night.

No comments:

Post a Comment