Friday, December 25, 2009

GD2 X-mas Night 2009

Here it is, 0305 on X-mas morning 2009. I'm at work; its a slow night by GD2 standards.  Notice I did not say the forbidden "Q" word?

There are five nurses on tonight; we've all got four patients vs. the normal six that we usually have on nights. Its been an interesting night, to say the least. I've got room 19, which is immediately across from the nurses' desk  and the only room on D2 with four beds. We reserve this room for the patients who we believe may need closer monitoring.  Translation: the very sick, the very old, and the very confused admissions to D2 go into this room.

This room can be a bit of a gong show at times and it seems some of the nurses prefer to work with any other rooms but 19.  I love having 19; the time goes by quickly.  Tonight it is the very confused that are in this room, two with dementia, and the other two with other cognitive challenges.  There are actually times where I have to stifle giggles in this room.  (This is where I had included a detailed story about a specific patient but have taken it out as I believe it would have broken confidentiality.)

As the night progressed and I realized that there would be no admissions anytime soon, I took out my cell phone and began texting people. It was near midnight and only my dear cousin, Rachel, responded to my  text asking if anyone was still awake.

My paperwork complete, I headed out of 19 to the desk where the other nurses were sitting and also finished their paperwork. It is unusual for us to be done our work this early (around midnight) and not be busy. This type of scenario makes the night drag on forever. We usually struggle to get the bare minimum paperwork  done because we are so very busy and there is usually an admission or two or five at night. So, when we have a night like this, it is a welcome reprieve from the norm. Although, it is hard to believe we are all earning between $35-40 per hour for not working very hard. Have I mentioned lately that I love my job????

And, guess what, I really do love my job. People often mistakenly assume that I am being sarcastic when I say that. But I can honestly say that I enjoy my chosen career.

In the morning when we have completed giving verbal report to the day nurses, I will drive home and attempt to grab a few hours of sleep before my red-headed gremlin arrives home. My very best friend will be driving him home from the babysitter's home an hour away. When I work nights he usually stays at home with his birth mother, but she is currently enjoying the sun and sand in Cuba. My friend offered to drive him home to me on Xmas day to save me the tired drive and the weather seems to be cooperating thus far.

There is, however, a snow and wind warning in effect for tomorrow, which would make the hour long drive a bit of a hazard in a car. Luckily, if that happens, I have a friend or two with pickup trucks who may be persuaded to bring him home as I can't bear to be away from him for any longer than I have to.

Which brings me to another topic entirely, the intense love I feel toward a child that I knew all along I would love, but was never prepared for the intensity.

Thus ends my blog for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment