Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Sucker?"

In my opinion everything Kev does is cute, except for the inevitable dirty diapers, of course. Lately his vocabulary seems to have doubled and tripled and quadrupled; he repeats virtually everything that you ask him to. Tonight we needed to make a quick stop at work on the way home from Mom's. He tried again and again to say "hossisipal," adding several extra syllables with each attempt. Moments like that melt my heart and remind me of how fortunate I am to have the opportunity of mothering him.

"Gate Gamma" and Kev have quite a special bond; tonight she was sharing candy-corn with him, his first candy-corn experience. He wanted "moah" and asked her for some while her back was turned. No response. For anyone that may be reading my blog for the first time, my mother is quite hard of hearing and just didn't hear Kev ask for more. Based on something I had read previously and based on Kev's vocabulary and development, I took a gamble and quickly explained to him that she couldn't hear very well and that he should wait till she was looking at him and then ask. Wow. He did exactly that. I was flabbergasted and pleased at the same time. She gave him a few more pieces of candy-corn for his effort. Priceless.

As far as suckers go, someone introduced him to suckers at Easter of this year. Since then we've been through a large variety of suckers and numerous trips to Dollarama, which is where they are the cheapest. I've developed a fondness for them myself after constantly having them on hand.

Virtually every time I am on the phone, Kev becomes quite loud, largely a happy sort of noisy, but enough to make phone calls a bit of a challenge for me and the unseen caller. Today, however, while out in public, I received a call from my 'boss' regarding some proposed schedule changes. I was sure Kev would react as he typically does but he sat as still as can be in his stroller and didn't make a sound. No reminders necessary. Not even a dirty look.

That earned him many positive words of recognition from me and a (small) bag of suckers to be stored in the 'junk drawer' in the kitchen. Alas, I have discovered that he is suddenly tall enough to reach into the drawer and that is exactly what he did, mere minutes after brushing his teeth for bed. "Sucker? Gamma sucker?"

No comments:

Post a Comment