Thursday, March 18, 2010

Life in a Small Town

(This was written in March 2010)

Steinbach is technically known as a city, but to me its a small town after having lived in Winnipeg for almost half my life. I spent years trying to leave the small-town girl and the small town behind, so its a huge surprise to me that I am happy here. The move was made for practical reasons and for Kev's benefit, not for my enjoyment, so its an added bonus to genuinely like it here.

Thus far, I've had a few experiences that make this lifestyle differ greatly from that of city living. Let me tell you about them:

A week ago I helped a friend make a delivery something to a small town (even smaller than Steinbach) and took roads other than the main highway, aka the scenic route, to get there. It was almost dusk when we finally left, so the scenery didn't make much difference. What does matter is that the vehicle in front of us began to tap on their brakes and gradually slow to a stop in the middle of the road. Of course I also stopped, curious to see what the issue was and wanting to avoid having an accident driving someone else's vehicle. Wow, I could not believe my eyes! We were waiting for a small herd of cows to cross the road; approximately 10-20 (I was too busy laughing and pointing to actually count) sauntered across the road, impervious to the honking from the driver of the vehicle in front of me. My official initiation into country life.

The very first weekend that we lived here, I heard a knock on my door. Obviously I was shocked because I wasn't expecting anyone and I had long since grown accustomed to people calling or texting prior to their arrival at my door. I checked the front door, the obvious choice. No one there. I checked the door to the patio, the other alternative. Still no one. Then, remembering that I had a door from the house to the garage, I ran quickly and opened the door. There were very friendly looking strangers at my door.  This caused me only momentary concern, but only momentary, until they introduced themselves. Their last names were Reimer and Penner; how harmful could they be? It turns out they were friends of friends and were welcoming me to the neighborhood. Second inititation to the country.

A big city hospital such as HSC in Winniepg has specialized everything; X-ray. Phlebotomy. IV team. Housekeeping. And so on. Not quite so in a rural hospital. I discovered this first hand just last night as I played the role of IV Nurse and Housekeeping. A patient required an IV start and I was ecstatic because the first try yielded success!! Flashback appeared instantly. This patient was on blood thinners and there was more blood present than just "flashback." I was moderately concerned for my pants and shoes but was able to subtly move them out of the way without the patient noticing. Completing the IV start, I glanced down at the floor and noticed a puddle about 3 inches in diameter. Hmmmmm.....this called for a call to housekeeping. Alas, I WAS the housekeeping department and had to go get the mop and mopbucket, mop the floor, then rinse out the mop bucket and refill it with water and soap. I would have expected to be upset by mopping, after all I bitched and complained at HSC when I had to do filing and cleaning. But I just giggled through the experience, thoroughly enjoying the situation. After all, it gave me more time to talk with the patient and try to decide whether or not we were related and who our common acquaintances were.

Small town life is agreeing with me and Kev. Kev is much much happier here, if such a thing were even possible and I am so much more relaxed and laid back and content. When a person makes a bad choice in life, there are usually cues and indicators.  I have had no such indicators about my move from Winnipeg to Steinbach.

No comments:

Post a Comment