Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Morning After

Of course I'm referring to the morning after a night shift! What did you think I was referring to?

Work ended uneventfully with the usual amount of post-night giddiness and the long-awaited arrival of the day staff. Seven fresh, well rested nurses; some of them even wearing makeup! It seems we put in a bit more effort for the day shift than for the nights. Our CRN arrived on time, our MOPC arrived, as did the unit clerk. The orthopedic residents were already doing rounds on their patients. All was in order in the D2 universe, my home for the last 4.5 years. I took pictures of the familiar scenes and the familiar faces, even though I know I'll be back soon enough to work as a casual nurse. D2 has been the place where I went when I needed peace and quiet from my teenager infested home. And, more recently, a place that reminded me that I was more than Kev's Grandma; I'm also Myrna.

Report went as it normally did, starting quietly and building up to a cacophony of voices, each trying to be heard over the other. Instead of the usual twelve vocal nurses that usually congregate in the conference room, today there were six additional bodies and voices in the room. We have groups of student nurses from Tuesday to Friday. All wearing all white, they tend to stand out in a crowded room. Their instructor was safely seated by the nursing station, away from the chaotic environment that we call "report.".

Following report, I grabbed my stuff from my locker, took a few more pictures, and left the building via the long tunnel system to the Tecumseh Parkade.

A quick stop at a drive-thru ATM, and a stop for gas and coffee and I was on my way. Visibility was alright, but not spectacular. It was misting just enough to need the wipers on every minute or two. As per my usual habits, I called my mother while driving. She loves my pre and post work phone calls and I will continue to make them as long as it is possible.

The call to her this morning was somewhat difficult as I could hear in her voice as she said hello that her world was upsidedown today. She asked twice who I was and then asked "Is this Myrna?" Her hearing is not improving and her memory has some noteable gaps in it. This makes for some very interesting conversations. By the time she understands and hears what I'm saying, the initial topic of conversation is long forgotten.

This morning we discussed all the things that were wrong in her world, and there were a lot this morning. She misses Dad an awful lot; she spent the majority of her life with him and is now expected to function without him. If you take the time to really think about it, it must be an incredibly difficult adaptation to make, wouldn't you agree?

In addition to Dad being gone, she feels that she was mistreated by her doctor yesterday. Her world was not a pleasant and safe place this morning. I stayed on the phone with her for twenty or so minutes. Frustrating at times, yes. Alarming, yes. Sad, yes.

It felt so right to drive into Steinbach and know that I was "home." Walking into the house from the double garage where I now park my car is so much more pleasurable than my walk to the front door in Winnipeg.

Kev was already awake and dressed. He came running to me, chattering away in his language about the events of his evening and morning while I was absent. It's such a fantastic feeling to return home to be greeted at the door by Kev.

Despite having worked all night, there was work to be done. And I worked on unpacking and cleaning right up until nap time at 1. Finally I got some sleep! Two hours is better than none.

A trip to Superstore and Shopper's Drug Mart completed our day. That, and two wonderful friends came over for coffee in the evening.

So despite having worked a full night shift, my life cannot come to a crashing halt just so I can sleep. I am utterly relieved that my new job is evenings and days, with no night shifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment