Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Now, the Positve Aspect

Contrary to what my previous post "Religious Superiority" may have implied, it is not the people themselves that as individuals I have a concern with, it is the belief system I take issue with.

As a significant portion of my family (nieces, nephews, cousins,etc) and friends remain a part of this community, I love the people themselves dearly.  As individuals and as families they are "good people."

Following is a brief list of the qualities that I admire and respect, keeping in mind that as with all other communities or groups, there are always exceptions to the rule. 
  • Childcare -  In my opinion, there is no better childcare than can be found in their homes.  From personal example, I have required childcare on a regular basis for two of my children.  The homes have no television sets, no radios, plenty of toys, and tons of love.  My youngest, who is 2 1/2, stays with a mom and her two daughters while I work.  He is happy to go there, and is treated like a member of the family when he is there.  She rocks him to sleep at naptime and nighttime.  In short, he is loved in her home; he is not simply a source of income. 
  • Assistance - In the event that a natural disaster or any other type of calamity befalls the community or those around them, they are virtually first on the scene to offer assistance.In my life I have seen this put into action on a large scale several times. 
  • Morality - This community has an incredibe sense of moral values, some of which it would not hurt the surrounding areas to adopt.  For example, honesty.  And, as with all other groups of people, there are those who push the boundaries and take the concept of honesty loosely.  But, as a rule, they will not lie to you, they will not cheat you.  
  • Their marriages are based on "till death us do part" and they mean it when they say it.  They do not flee the home at the first sign of trouble.  Having said that, there are of course, instances in which a partner becomes abusive and then it is best to leave to ensure safety.
  • Fathers are fathers.  Its very rare, indeed that a father does not take an active and loving role in his child's life.  A father does not cease being a father when the child leaves the home for marriage or other purposes.  
Growing up in the community and remaining enmeshed with the community due to familial relations and childcare needs, I primarily see the good vs. the negative in virtually each individual I come in contact with. 

It was my destiny to become a part of this community but I was pulled away by parents at the age of 10.  Life on the outside was a constant struggle for the first 10-20 years following.  It has since become easier as I have been able to shed some of the mindset which was so instilled into me in those short ten years.

In summary, it is best to look at both sides of every story.  Yes, there are negative aspects to this religious community; but I believe the positive far outweighs the negative. Is this not the same in communities around the world?


    No comments:

    Post a Comment