Friday, August 20, 2010

Six Months Probation

The decision to move from the capitol city to a smaller town was made based on a six month probationary period. If, after six months, I absolutely hated it, I would move back to the city.  The six months will be up in two short weeks.
I’m staying.
I’m staying primarily because Kev and I are undisputedly happy here.
The tire park is Kev's reason.
I’m staying because of the positive experience in my own Emergency Department (ED) the other day.
I’m staying because I filled out my own triage form.
I’m staying because the initial physician to assess me was a female physician who I have the utmost respect for and would consider a friend. 
I’m staying because a co-worker (who is my 2nd cousin) held my hand through a difficult and painful procedure in the ED.
I’m staying because that same cousin started an IV on me, also in the ED.
I’m staying because I’ve started IVs on my cousins.
I’m staying because the 2nd nurse in the procedure room stayed behind and talked with me as I cried and reassured me that crying was okay and I shouldn’t be ashamed of my tears.
I’m staying because the physician who performed the painful procedure came over to me, took my hand, apologized for causing me pain, and genuinely meant it. 
I’m staying because I knew every one of the team that treated me in the ED, and not one of them was happy to see me under the circumstances.
He loves tires.
I’m staying because the surgeon who was consulted was one I had watched do procedures in the OR just a few months prior and I know he is caring and gentle. 
I’m staying because that same surgeon verbalized that he did not like to see me on ‘the other side of the fence’ as a patient.
I’m staying because my VBF brought me mashed potatoes, chicken, and an iced coffee while I was stuck on a stretcher in the ED.
I’m staying because my sister-in-law, who just happened to be in town, stopped by the ED for a few minutes despite me texting her that I was okay and she did not need to come and visit.
I’m staying because the manager of my home unit, not my CRN, walked over to ED to see how I was doing and stayed for a few minutes.
I’m staying because my CRN offered to come with me for an ultrasound the next morning when she realized I was alone at the hospital.
I’m staying because another sister-in-law stopped in at my home the next morning to check up on me and how I was doing.
I’m staying because Kev’s sitter kept Kev overnight and brought him home the next day, along with an iced coffee.
I’m staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment