Thursday, August 12, 2010

Summary

My very first attempt at blogging was short-lived and only lasted for two posts.  Life has a way of getting busy and overriding the things you need to do for yourself.  It was only six short weeks after I initially tried blogging that I found out Jen was pregnant with my first grandchild, Kev.

Life kind of spiralled out of control after that, my teen-age daughter was pregnant, I was working almost full time on D2, a love relationship started, Kev was born (what a happy day that was!), Jen had post-partum depression, Chris moved out with his girlfriend, I became Kev's guardian/mother, financial difficulties abounded, and Jen and I were butting heads constantly.

The first year of Kev's life was a very challenging one for all of us but I was determined that Kev should not feel any of its effects. The second year of his life started with a huge birthday party and lots of gifts, followed by his birth-mother's graduation from high school, and the end of my love relationship.  Jen and I were butting heads more as time went on. I wanted her to work and provide income for the household but since she wasn't employed until September, I insisted that she take care of Kev while I worked.  She did so, and with much greater ease than was evident a year previously. 

In September 2009 Kev began attending daycare in Winnipeg and had a full-time spot which he used only when I worked.  It was very rare that I brought him there when I was not working.  Jen had a job at this time and she picked him up on her way home from work on the days that he was there and rode the bus home with him.  I'd come home from work and he'd be fast asleep in his crib, having had a good supper that Jen cooked.

Just days prior to my 42nd birthday in October it became apparent that the anti-depressants that I'd been taking for 15 years (I started in 1993, just 5 months after my sister passed away) had abruptly stopped working.  More financial difficulties ensued as I had to take two weeks off of work in order switch from one med to another.  When the new meds entered my system and began to take effect my thinking became much clearer than it had been in years!

I realized that if Kev and I were going to be a family, and if Jen and I were ever going to salvage any sort of mother-daughter relationship we would have to live in separate homes.  It was then I decided to move back to the "country" with my son.

During my paid holidays in November I began purging my belongings in a way that I hadn't manage to do before in my lifetime.  I was throwing off the chains of the past and moving ahead for a brighter and lighter future.  I journalled, I cleaned, journalled some more, and then cleaned again.

December came around and I headed back to work on GD2 at Health Science Centre and told my unit manager that I was planning on leaving early in the new year.  She and my coworkers completely supported me in making this move and the corresponding life change. 

I started blogging again on X-mas Day  of 2009 and you already know the rest. 

But, just in case you missed it, here's some old posts which don't show up in my side bar to the left.

Night Shift and Stuff

A Confession

Random Thoughts From a Nurse on Break

Money Talk

A Day in the Life of a Nurse

Resolutions vs. Goals


My Regrets

For Rent: House #1

Night Shift

Baby Girl Leaves the Nest

Farewell Sony Ericson, Hello iPhone

Goal #1

Honesty From a Would Be Empty Nester

Cleaning Out Jennifer's Room

Quick Post ...

Scared and Worried

My New Home

Options in the Rental Market

Countdown

Emergency Room Nurse

More Details

First Day at Our New House

A Night on D2

The Morning After

Wednesday, With a Twist

Last Night Shift on GD2 - Orthopedics

No comments:

Post a Comment