Monday, August 9, 2010

Please Don't Feed The Nurses

Nurses spend an excessive amount of time on their feet, walking, standing, and occasionally running. You'd think that with all that activity our metabolisms would be on par with long distance runners and we'd have low bodyfat percentages.

Not so at all! Many nurses I know are slightly overweight and many are trying to lose a few pounds, myself included. There's a reason for that; it's a rare occasion that there is not some form of junk food on our tables and countertops.

Well meaning family members, grateful for the care their loved one is receiving or had received, bring boxes of chocolate, bags of chips, etc. It's rare that we receive a veggie platter or a fruit basket as a thank you gift and I'm not quite sure why that is.  Perhaps family members feel that we deserve a 'treat' and then get us junk food.  Well, it is a treat for us, and we inhale our treats as if we hadn't eaten in a month.

Its not that I'm ungrateful for the gifts we get from family members, not at all, we appreciate each and every gesture of appreciation.  It would just be much kinder for our health and our waistlines if you would bring us healthy treats vs. chocolate or donuts.

 Just for the record, I'm sure that I am not speaking on behalf of all nurses; I'm sure there are those who prefer the junk food treats and then I'm sure there are those who feel that we should be happy with whatever gift we get.  But I can assure you that regardless of the edible gift you bring us as a team will get eaten asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment