Saturday, February 27, 2010

First Day at Our New Home

The car was loaded to the max before 0900 but we couldn't leave because of a scheduled appointment at 1020. After the appointment we made the hour long drive to Steinbach, stopped at Century 21 where I nearly whooped for joy when the keys were in my hand! Poor staff, they must not be used to such displays of emotion.

Off to the house; I have been briefing Kev on moving for a few weeks now, so this did not seem to be a surprise to him at all. The house was a mere 12 degrees and Kev was feverish so he began shivering violently once inside the house. Luckily I, being the clever and organized Grandma that I am, had brought a large bag of blankets in the car. He soon feel asleep in the nest I made for him on the living room carpet, and I unpacked the car. By the time he woke, the tylenol had taken effect and he was ready to explore. We dumped a giant bin (again, organized and thoughtful Grandma) of toys on his bedroom floor; toys that he hadn't seen in the four weeks since I packed them away. What excitement!! It was as if I had given him all new toys!

Interestingly, Kev's bedroom is not a "bedroom" on the floor plan, it is a "lifestyle" room! Hmmm, still trying to decide what that is. His room is at the very front of the house, facing
south. The window has curtains but it's going to also need blinds to keep out the bright summer sun in the mornings.

Yesterday was a day where things just kept getting better and better! As I pulled up to the house for the very first time, I got a call from Bethesda Hospital. My start date is March 15; I'll be starting with a fairly lengthy and intensive orientation to the Emergency Department. I laughed when they asked if I would be okay with them starting me at a higher EFT than I was hired into! Of course!! We also discussed the possibility of floating off to the medical or surgical wards.

Late afternoon found Kev and I at his new babysitter's home, simply getting him acquainted with her and the other children in her care. I've known her all my life so we discussed different things. She is also a single parent and we obviously have some of the same issues in that area. Bringing Kev to her home means 20 minutes and 12 miles of driving before and after every shift, plus I'm paying her more than a public daycare. Why? Because I want a sitter who will truly love my child, and a sitter that Kev can bond with and feel at ease with. He has all those things at his current daycare in the city; I am extremely particular of who I allow to take care of him in my absence. I also need to have open communication with the sitter, and common ideas as to what quality childcare is.

Back to the new house, we brought my Mom and my dear sister in laws to tour my magnificent mansion. They were suitably impressed! Especially with my organized closet! Ha! It'll be that neat and organized for a month or two! Besides, there were only hangars and shoes in the HUGE closet.

Suppertime rolled around and Virg came over and shared pizza with me; later another friend came down and finished the last of the pizza so I wouldn't have to deal with leftovers. It was fantastic having people over to my house and knowing that these same people are now neighbors and can drop by anytime without having to make an hour long drive!

In short, it feels like life is coming together beautifully! Being in the house felt "home-like" instantly. Kev was relaxed there and even showed Virg his bedroom when she asked! The drive to get my Mom was so short! When it was time to head back to the city for night, it was quite difficult to leave; had I thought to bring along my evening medication, we would have spent the night there.

At this point, it sounds like we'll be moving more boxes today and spending time there till Monday. Them returning to the city for my last two day shifts, then completing the move next weekend.

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a fantastic weekend!



1 comment: