Monday, January 11, 2010

Night Shift

Hey hey, its my last shift before Jen leaves for Quebec. Her last chance to "babysit" Kev. When she first had him she called me at work many times every shift, tired and complaining about the lack of sleep. She hasn't called me tonight at all. Likely a good indicator of the tenseness of our relationship at this point in time. Also, Kev sleeps through the night and is no longer in the newborn stage, which she admits really scared her.

I've got six patients tonight, four of them very high maintenance. Its 0320 and I'm just barely sitting down after getting my work done and finishing up all the paperwork.

Kev cried when he saw me in my scrubs today. That's a first. It made me secretly happy that he would miss me, and very excited that he associated the scrubs with me going away. He came to me for a hug, crying as though his heart was breaking. I spoke softly into his ear "When you wake up in the morning, I'll be here again." He stopped crying when I began speaking, and didn't really start up again, but went to sit on Jen's lap.

That's about all the time I've got for a post tonight, break time is in ten minutes; I could blog on my break, but I've got other things to occupy my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment