Saturday, January 9, 2010

For Rent: House #1

It is currently 0919. Kev and I are sitting at the kitchen table where he is inhaling a piece of toast and I am typing on my laptop. Jen is upstairs bemoaning the sorry state of her life. In particular, she is complaining rather loudly about getting up so early to go see Grandma.

Yesterday I went to see a rental home in Steinbach; 1200 square feet approximately. One level (no basement + no upstairs= no stairs!). The living room/dining room/kitchen is a very open area. One car garage opens directly into the front hallway, Kev’s bedroom is a front bay bedroom, and mine is in the back of the house, facing west. Washer and dryer are in the hallway between the kitchen and bathroom. It’s a wonderful layout and would be a welcome reprieve from my current home which has a full basement and three levels in addition to that. So many stairs to worry about with Kev exploring the house. The only drawback to the house is so minor that I shouldn’t even refer to it as a drawback, is the color of its décor. Dusty rose is the color scheme and it is present in the carpet, the blinds, kitchen cupboards, kitchen counter, etc. It is not the color scheme that I would choose if I were designing my own home, but to me in this case it is such a trivial detail.

There is a small storage room off of the garage which is not accessible from the house. The hot water tank and the water softener are in this tiny room. There is room for several boxes if I stack them vertically. And at this point in my purging of belongings, I don’t feel as if I have more than I could safely and logically fit into this room.

This home remains on the market until January 15, at which point the owner will either continue to rent the home or place it back on the market for another short period of time. If this is the case, I will begin to actively look for another rental in the Steinbach/Blumenort/Mitchell area. I will be very disappointed if I cannot rent this house, as it is optimal in so many ways. It is within walking distance of Bethesda Hospital, Virg’s house, Superstore, Clearspring Mall (the hotbed of activity in Steinbach), and from my home I have access to a series of wonderful walking circuits in town. Not to mention which, the town has two 24-hour gyms, one very close to this property.

Oh, and the best part is the rent! It’s a mere 18 dollars more than what I’m paying here, but the benefits are worth so much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment